Thursday, February 4, 2010

Filthy to Fabulous -- The Jewelry Cleaning Adventures of Henry Frank II

Hello, my name is Henry Frank II.  I am the handsome orange tabby cat pictured to the left, and I am the Lord of the Manor of Robin's Nest Treasures.  My sister, Miss Bunny, pictured below, is the Princess of the Manor.  It is Friday night and my Mommy, Robin, just received some vintage jewelry from Ebay.  I am going to help Mommy clean some of this jewelry.  Bunny and I LOVE to play with Mommy's vintage jewelry pieces.  We call them the "shinies".  Mommy keeps them in sealed boxes most of the time so that we cannot get to them, but every once in a while, she brings them out so that we can plot our adventures with them.  Tonight is a jewelry cleaning night, and I must position myself on the bathroom counter so that -- FIRST, I may play in the water, and SECOND, I may get a closer look at the shinies! 

Okay, Henry Frank, this is my Blog, so I will take over the Post now, thank you.  I use a lot of vintage earrings to make my various "treasures" for Robin's Nest Treasures", and I love the old vintage clip earrings!  Today I received an order from a lady on Ebay who apparently has hundreds of vintage earrings (I'm jealous!), and she wants to get rid of them pronto!  So, in addition to my order, she sent me some free vintage flower plastic clip earrings that were very dirty.  She probably thought that they were worthless, but, behold, the power of TOOTHPASTE!
Yes, toothpaste is a vintage jewelry collector's best friend.  Get a soft baby's toothbrush and some toothpaste - wet the brush - and GENTLY rub the earring to remove dirt and grime.  Be very careful with pearl and pearlescent finishes because they peal off easily.  Also be careful with loose stones.
It is truly amazing, however, how glorious your vintage beauties will look after a thorough but gentle cleaning!  Remember -- Never use a conventional jewelry cleaner on vintage jewelry!


  

The photo above shows the "before" cleaning on the flower on the left, and the "after" cleaning on the right.  Unfortunately it is not as dramatic in the photo as it is in real life.
Anyway,  the next photo shows the formerly filthy freebies all cleaned up and ready for action.  I do not have many plastic vintage earrings in my stash, but I am happy to add these pretty little flowers.  They will be good for making summer flower brooches. 

As you can see from the photo below Henry Frank was exhausted by the end of the cleaning session! 

Bunny, on the other hand, was totally disinterested in the whole jewelry cleaning process.

She was indignant when I had the nerve to put a lovely pearl necklace on her.  No faux pearls for her highness!  Perhaps she can borrow Auntie Karen Louise's tiara.
Well folks, that's about all for tonight.  More later from "the nest" this weekend.  Stay well and happy.  Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment