Sunday, September 12, 2010

September's Lovely Tokens - Fall's First Acorns

"By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
Within summer's best of weather
And Autumn's best of cheer."
  - Helen Hunt Jackson - September

Aaahhh September the loveliest!  I took a little nature walk at a local park looking for pine cones for some craft projects and, although I could find very few nice pine cones, my efforts were rewarded with some other fall treasures.  It is amazing what you can find when you just walk quietly in the woods, stand still, look down, and let your eyes focus on the treasures that nature has waiting for you to discover on her wonderful carpet.  I was both surprised and delighted to find acorns!  I thought that it was a bit too early for acorns to have fallen, but I found the early crop of both green and brown babies.  I was seeking them for some craft projects -- including the acorn caps to put on some needle felted acorns that I am making.  Next to many of the acorn trees were chestnut trees, who were also dropping their fruit shells, so I also gathered some of those beauties. 

















Perhaps the best surprise of the day was the discovery of an old bird's nest which had fallen to the ground!














After my walk, I went over to visit some lovely horses which are boarded at the park.  They are the members of the Allegheny County Police Mounted Patrol Unit who have their stables in the park.  They were having a bite to eat after a hard day's work.  They were all so friendly, they all came over to greet me and to be petted. 




























Finally, it was a stop at our local dollar store flower shop to buy some beautiful mums to decorate the front porch and the driveway.  I bought quite a lovely spread for a little dough.  I got most of them planted in my pots, but I ran out of potting soil.  I'll post some photos when the outside decorations are complete.







All in all, it was a lovely Autumn day!

Be Well and Happy.  Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment